North Atlantic Health Sciences Libraries, Inc. (NAHSL) was established in 1958 as a regional
group representing Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and
Vermont. It became an official Chapter of the Medical Library Association in 1981.
NAHSL is an organization of professional librarians, individuals and institutions interested in
Health Sciences Libraries and committed to:
- Providing opportunities for education and professional growth
- Promoting and advancing the status and economic interest of health science librarians
- Providing a forum for peer interactions and networking
- Promoting the exchange of ideas and information
- Promoting excellence in health information services
- promoting cooperation among health science libraries
- Working with the Medical Library
Association to develop goals and standards of mutual benefit and interest
- Serving as a focus for political action in health information issues
- Continuing Education - Participate in NAHSL continuing education courses to stay abreast
of the latest in library trends, technology and service. Course offerings are
applicable to professionals from all branches of library science. Medical Library
Association (MLA) accredited CE's are offered for many courses.
- Professional Development - Become involved in NAHSL and acquire the information and
skills needed to stay on top of the fast moving field of medical librarianship.
- Leadership Opportunities - Take an active part in NAHSL by becoming a member of one of
the organization's committees: Archives, Bylaws, Conference, Education, Electronic
Communications, Finance, Government Relations, Marketing, Membership, Nominating, Program and Scholarship.
- Networking - Tap into the most valuable professional resource in the Northeast - your
peer librarians. Gather and exchange information with other New England health
science librarians at the annual meeting and via the NEHSL listserv.
- Annual Meeting - Attend the annual NAHSL meeting to participate in an exciting array of
opportunities: attend lectures delivered by nationally recognized visionaries and leaders
in the field, participate in continuing education and professional development, network
with peers and explore different New England cities and towns that host the event each
- Scholarships - Each year, scholarships are made available
to assist members in attending the annual meeting and/or continuing education courses.
Also, help contribute to NAHSL scholarships by visiting the scholarship table at
each year's annual meeting.
Membership in the Chapter is open to individuals interested in the health information
professions. For more information, contact the NAHSL Chair:
Mary Ann Slocomb
University of Mass Medical School
55 Lake Ave.
North Worcester, MA 01655
Phone= (508) 856-2099
Fax= (508) 856-5899